Before Hair Transplant Instructions
- Aspirin and Aspirin related such as Advil ( Ibuprofen ) Aleve related products 7 days before your procedure . These products increase the tendency of bleeding. Many over the counter medications may also contain Aspirin or Advil including cold remedies. Check with you Pharmacist if you are uncertain if the medication contains Aspirin or related products.
- You may use TYLENOL (acetaminophen) if you require pain medication before surgery.
- Herbal Medications and Nutritional supplements 7 days before and 7 days after surgery. These products may increase bleeding and also they may interact with Anesthetic agents. Examples include Fish oil, Black Cohosh, Melatonin, Garlic pills, St Johns Wort, Green Tea and Vitamin E. Regular Multi-Vitamins are allowed.
- Use our medications to avoid list for guidance. You may use Tylenol for pain medication before your procedure.
- Any tobacco product 2 weeks before and after procedure. Nicotine in any form including cigarettes, chewing tobacco, patches and gum can adversely affect your wound healing.
- Any alcohol for 48 hours before and 48 hours after surgery (includes beer and wine)
Please take your medication as prescribed by your physician (examples include blood pressure, thyroid, asthma medication, Propecia).
- If you are taking arthritis medication, please ask Dr. Lam or his Nurse if you can safely continue.
- If you are diabetic, please bring your glucose monitoring device day of surgery.
- If you have asthma, please bring your inhalers day of the surgery
- If you are using Rogaine, please stop its application 2 days before the surgery and you can resume it 7 days after the surgery.
IN PREPARATION FOR SURGERY
- You must have a ride after surgery so plan accordingly. You may go home in a taxi but YOU SHOULD NOT DRIVE.
- Shower with the antibacterial soap Hibiclens (alternate name Chlorohexadine) available OTC (CVS or Walmart) use the night before surgery and the morning of surgery use all over your body head to toe and rinse off. Do not let soap get into eyes or ears. Do not apply lotions or other grooming products
- If you are having
- Strip (FUT) procedure – DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER 12 MN THE NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY (THIS INCLUDES ICE CHIPS, WATER, COFFEE AND TEA)
- Robotic ARTAS (FUE) procedure – you may have a light breakfast. Cut your hair short 1-2 days before the surgery (0 guards on the trimmer, i.e. “high and tight” military style cut).
- Beard FUE – do not shave your beard for 2 days.
- Eyebrow transplant – you may have a light breakfast (please check with nurses if unsure).
If you should develop symptoms of cough, cold, fever or sore throat prior to your surgery, please inform Dr. Lam’s nurse immediately at 972-312-8105.